Healthcare & Pharmaceuticals
MERU CASE STUDY
Developed a comprehensive commercial go-to-market strategy for a life sciences company
- Bio-Product supplier of cell culture media, sera, and reagents through three primary sales channels – medical research, biotech firms and pharma companies around the world
- The Company had reached an inflection point – shifting from a founder-led business to a PE-owned organization
- With the change in ownership, the Company had set a target of growing its revenue ~4-6x over the next 3-5 years
- MERU was engaged to help develop a comprehensive go-to-market strategy, with an emphasis on (1) Sales structure and salesforce effectiveness, (2) Portfolio rationalization and product pricing, and (3) Customer profitability assessment
- Partnered with the management team to achieve each of the commercial objectives and prepared a detailed implementation plan
- Interviewed key members of the mgmt. and the Sales team to identify pain points
- Conducted a gaps assessment on existing tools (e.g., CRM) & processes (e.g., sales pipeline mgmt.)
- Assessed market size data by US states to develop appropriate territory coverage model
- Analyzed transaction data by product type to identify opportunities for pricing and SKU rationalization
- Evaluated transaction data for 3 years to identify reasons for customer churn
Created a revamped, scalable sales organization structure and compensation model to align with Company’s strategic objectives.
Optimized sales pipeline tracking and management process to provide better visibility into order backlog.
Identified pricing optimization opportunity of 5-6% of revenue by reducing dispersion in discounts offered to various customers.